Monday, April 29, 2013

End of the challenge

I have fallen way behind on this challenge. My uncle, aunt, and cousins bought a new house and we spent the weekend helping them move everything. When I got to work today the last thing I wanted to do was lift another thing. Thankfully, my boss for some reason offered to filled the ice machine today so all I had to do was wheel it out to the counter and he poured it in. Maybe he felt bad for my lack of height, or more likely he was board. Either way, I wasn't going to complain.

We got everything out of the old house though, and had a rather fun time doing it. (We always have fun with T and D. And, since I was able to buy my helmet before we left town, I got to ride on the back of William's motorcycle. It only made me more eager to get mine going.

I will be finishing the challenge tonight. It is almost midnight here and therefore the last day of the challenge.

V

Violins of Autumn.

I found this book while browsing the shelves at the library. Though not a true story it is based off of true events. Set during WWII, right before D Day, it tells the story of Betty, an American spy who has gotten into France to send information to the allies along with her best friend.
Facing danger from the Germans, Betty risks her life to help plan the invasion of D Day, and liberate France.
It is a wonderful book, one I would gladly read again.

W

While Mortals Sleep. Written by Jack Cavanaugh
My cousin R told me about this book. I didn't think I'd like it when I first started it because it is about a married man. But the moment I started it I couldn't put it down.
Josef is living in Germany and, while he's a German, he doesn't like what is happening around him. He gets together some of the Hitler's Youth Boys in the hopes of keeping them from joining the Nazis. Soon his outspoken opinions gain him the attention of a group of underground workers, and the Nazis.
Josef is sent on a dangerous mission, one which might cost him his life.

X
I don't know what to do with this letter. I've never read a book which starts with X and I can't find one I would like to read. Except maybe Xena, Warrior Princess. I know it was a TV show, but I don't know anything about it so I don't know if it is something I'd ever watch or read.

Y
Yellow House Mystery. 
This is the second book in the Boxcar Children books. A series I loved as a kid, and still enjoy. This was my favorite and made me wish I could spend the summer on an island.

Z
Zorro.
I didn't like the new movie, which is where I first heard of this masked hero, but I loved the old TV shows. And if I ever find them, I would read some of the books, the original ones, about this dashing Spanish hero.

And I shall end this post here because it is really late here and I should be in bed as I have to work tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. Good job catching up. Best wishes to you on the rest of your blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've fallen so far behind on my blog reading and commenting it isn't even funny....

    You have a motorcycle? How cool! My grandparents have some and they ride regularly in the summer. I've never ridden one, and I'm not sure I want to. :)

    Violins of Autumn and While Mortals Sleep both sound like books I would enjoy.

    The Boxcar Children series was so much fun! It is a staple in our house. I loved reading them when I was younger and now it is my younger siblings who read the books over and over.

    I want to read the Zorro books, too. I haven't seen any of the movies based on him but I want to someday.

    And now to reply to the wonderful comment you left on my blog a month ago:

    I did do an entry for the writing contest, and actually won second place in my category. I was pretty excited.

    It might be easier for me to tell you what kind of books I don't like. :D I love historical fiction, some fantasy, a little bit of sci-fi, some mysteries, some biographies, horse stories- actually animal stories in general, and classics are my especial delight. I don't like horror, too many murder mysteries, or paranormal.

    What genres of books do you read?

    Thank you! I do hope to publish someday, but it will be at least a few years down the road.

    What kind of books do you write?

    I usually ride 3-5 days a week in the summer. There is nothing that quite compares to riding a horse through wide open spaces with the wind in your face. :)

    I have sewn one costume. It is an Empire/Regency dress but it doesn't fit quite right, so I have to tweak the pattern and make a better one.

    Doctor Who and Merlin are two of my favorite series! I don't watch much American TV. I think the only American shows I watch are the Star Trek series, Stargate SG-1 and I've just started watching Psych. So yeah, most of my TV is British TV. And I've just started watching Korean TV shows (with English subtitles) and I'm loving them!

    The Ancient World is so fascinating!!!!! Besides Greece, Rome and Egypt, I like to study Ancient China sometimes.

    I have heard of the Biblical Archaeology magazine. They have some good articles.

    I shall try to stay better connected in the future with reading and commenting on your blog. It is going to be fun getting to know you, too!

    ReplyDelete