Thursday, April 18, 2013

Let's spend the afternoon in a cold, hot air balloon

O

On the Banks of Plum Creek. Written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Published 1937



The Little House books were some of the first I ever read. I grew up with Laura and felt like I had a friend in her even though we lived so many years a part. I could relate to her, understand her.

On the Banks of Plum Creek is one of my all time favorites out of the series. After reading it I wanted to live in a house under a hill by a creek. I wanted to spend a summer going for walks in the meadows around it and playing in the waters looking for fish.
____
Work has been slowly this week because my town was hit with a blizzard which closed the passes. Most everyone has spent the last few days huddled up in their homes, sitting by their fires or on top of their heaters. And the shelves in the stores are slowly thinning out.

The thick cloud which has been wrapped around us is starting to lifted today it is still cold outside and none of the roads have opened yet.

When I got to work yesterday it was very slow, once again. For an hour I pretended I was working hard though there was nothing to do. Then a massive crowd rushed in from...somewhere...and the few of us who were there were running all over the kitchen trying to get them all feed and keep them happy.

After the lunch rush things slowed down again and most everyone working left until there were just four of us left. Two in the kitchen, one manager, and me. (I work the register and they've been trying to train me on drive through. yesterday was the first day I worked drive through during lunch. I think my manager only did it because he thought it would be slow and when it got so busy he didn't have time to let someone else take over. Somehow, though, I managed to not create some kind of disaster back there.)

Since the rush was over, my manager and I figured we would have plenty of time to clean up the dinning area and restock everything. We both set to work, but every time we left the kitchen area someone would pull up in drive through and we'd have to rush back to take their order. We finally gave up and just stayed in the kitchen until the dinner crew began to show up, then we made a mad dash to finish everything before I was off. I think we set some kind of record.

Now I will close. I have a long day at work today and have to get ready.

1 comment:

  1. The Laura Ingalls Wilder books were also a favorite of mine. My daughter moved 'out west'and asked me to mail them to her. But, before I did I read them all. My Challenge is also about authors and their books, just a small twist from yours.
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete