Friday, August 30, 2013

First Week of College

Well, it is the end of the week, and I've survived my first week of school. The first day I was second guessing myself, wondering why I'd ever allowed myself to sign up in the first place. Walking into the classroom itself was terrifying, but it helped that my first subject was history. Very soon I forgot about nerves and enjoyed listening to my teacher talk. But in spite of that, the day wasn't the greatest I've ever had.

I somehow managed to tip my motorcycle over twice that day, the second time it went so far as to throw me off. And I felt overwhelmed by the pile of homework, little knowing I didn't have to do it all between Tuesday, my first class, and Thursday, my second. 

Wednesday I had my first math class, which left me feeling like my head was ready to blow, the homework I've been doing since has done nothing to relieve this feeling. Sometimes I feel like I am grasping it, other times it goes over my head.

I am having fun with English, Latin, and History though. Latin is online, which makes it a little confusing because I can't go talk to the teacher when I get confused, but I am able to email her.

During my first history class I thought we had to read two chapters in two days, so I did so. During class the teacher asked if any of us had read ahead in one of the reading books, so I raised my hand along with one other student. (Before this a young man had sat down beside me and had given me a nod and a smile.) When I raised my hand I could see him out of the corner of my eye as he rolled his eyes and gave that look which said, "History geek." I found it amusing.

The homework is a lot more than I thought it would be, and I am still trying to balance it all. I don't know how college students manage to squeeze in work and homework, not to mention classes, eating, and sleeping, all into one day. Hopefully I can figure it out soon. I am working really hard on not allowing myself to stress or panic over any of it. I am going to do my best and try my hardest, and keep myself from worrying about the rest.

I've also realized that I have to get a little more creative with my outfits. Through the summer my method was to just throw on whatever pair of shorts I had left lying on my floor from the day before and grab a clean tee shirt when I needed it. This doesn't work so well with college, or with any public gathering for that matter. Wearing the same pair of shorts for a week - I did make sure they were clean and I wore them so often because Jenni and I ended up going to the river almost every day anyways. But, this just doesn't work now that I am around people. Thankfully, no one really notices that I only have one pair of blue jeans, which I only wear when I ride my motorcycle to school.

On top of all this I am trying to, every day, squeeze in time for walks or bike rides or swimming. I did go to the doctor to see about the pain in my side and my stomach always being queasy. He found that the outer layer of skin which protects the nerves in my colon had been worn off and that I now have sever IBS. I am on medication for it, but daily exercise and a healthy diet does a world of good for IBS. So, those are very high on my list of things to keep up on. Jenni makes sure I get in plenty of exercise.

I've been a little sad to see summer coming to its end. I hadn't realized how much I've been enjoying it until school started and I had to give up all my free time and weekly hikes. I am still trying to find time to sneak in the hikes, at least until the snow comes, but it hasn't been easy. Not that I am disappointed at where my life is right now, it is just taking time for me to adjust to the sudden change. After all, last week, I didn't have a pile of homework and baffling schedules to figure out.

I am trusting God though, during this new step in my life. And I am determined to tackle it all with every ounce of willpower and devotion I have. Even the math, which I was tempted to stab last night. And now I think I will close and see if I can get in a bit of reading before bed.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like this first week has been a giant step and a giant change. I'm so glad that you are enjoying most of your classes, though! And thankful that you are trusting God with the work schedule. That's pretty much all you can do, when school is threatening to take over your life, right? I hope that the rest of the year goes very, very well for you. =)

    ReplyDelete