Friday, June 27, 2014

A different kind of adventure

The line under my blog title is a borrowed line from Egyptologist Zahi Hawass. When I tell people I want to dig in the for things which have been buried for hundred of years I think I blow their mind of what Archaeology really is. No Nazis and tanks, no life and death adventures. Just a lot of digging and sun and heat and dirt. And knelling.

After five days of doing real Archaeological work I have only become more convinced that Mr. Hawass knows exactly what he is talking about.

No, I didn't meet up with any Nazis. I didn't get thrown into a pit with snakes. I didn't fly a plane and get shot at. Instead, I spent a lot of time sifting through dirt while more dirt was being hurled at my head. I shoveled so much I found a new muscle under my shoulder blade which I never knew existed. I turned brown, and I think most of it is from a layer of dirt I've not been able to get off. I got poured on and had to stand out in it so I could help cover the site before it was flooded. I got sick from standing out in the sun too long. I ache in places I didn't know could ache. And I dug in enough dirt that it should have been able to last me a life time.

And I loved every single minute of it. I loved the dirt and pulling bones and pottery from the sifter. I loved it when a burned post was discovered and later a burned building. Maybe it doesn't sound as exciting as Indiana Jones, but to me, it was just as.

I'm going to post more details later, but right now I'm short on time.

I just felt like sharing a bit of my week adventure. I have plans to go back next summer, for the full month this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment