Thursday, May 7, 2015

Book Reviews

I've been trying to get some reviews written but every time I try and sit down and do a long one I never get anything accomplished. I decided instead to do a series of mini-reviews. Today seems like a good day to do them since it snowed very randomly. Since I couldn't go on my daily bike ride I might as well do something productive.

Moonless Night by B. A "Jimmy" James
Jimmy James was a POW in Nazi Germany during World War 2. He took part in what came to be called The Great Escape, but that wasn't his only escape. The one I found to be the most memorable was when he escaped a camp with a man everyone called Mad Jack. The two didn't make it out of Germany but they created plenty of havoc while they roamed the countryside.

The Man-Eaters of Tsavo by John H. Patterson
This was my second time reading this book. Patterson worked in Africa building a railway bridge. While there two man-eating lions began to attack his camp. This book is Patterson's account of the attacks and his hunt to kill the lions and put an end to their slaughters.

King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Another book I re-read. I love this book. It has everything one could ask for it an adventure story. Treasure, danger, a hidden tribe of people, desert and hunts, and of course Quartermain. It was just as good as the first time I read it.

The Archaeology of Weapons by R. Ewart Oakeshott
A friend gave this book to me. When I first became interested in Archaeology I wanted to study and discover swords but didn't realize there was an actual study of weapons until I read this book. I learned so much reading this book. It talked about the different types of swords through history and why each was made - whether for thrusting or slashing. I plan to re-read this at some point.

And so far those are the books I've finished. I have exciting news to share in my next post though!

No comments:

Post a Comment