Saturday, August 1, 2015

Mini-Reviews

I've kind of slipped in my reading. I have a journal I am going to start Monday, written by a man who lived in the late 1930's. With this being August though I wanted to spend more time outside while it is still nice. Winter comes early up in the mountains and stays late. If you don't enjoy summer while you have it you miss it.

I thought now would be a good time to do another round of mini book reviews.

Prisoners of the Sea
I enjoyed this one, to put it mildly. I devoured it in just a few days and wanted more by the time I'd finished. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and I really loved the ending. I became especially fond of Winters. What isn't to love about a crusty old sailor?

A Brief History of Robin Hood
While I didn't hate this book I didn't overly enjoy it. When it said brief it means brief. The whole book was a mild overview of men all throughout history who could have been the famous Robin Hood. It glimpsed into various lives who either had a similar name or a similar life to the legendary outlaw. When I got the book I was expecting something a little more solid, which is one reason I was so disappointed in it. It was interesting in its own way, just not what I was looking for.

Journey to the Center of the Earth
What isn't to love about Jules Verne and impossible adventures? Axel...but I mean besides him. I wished his uncle was mine and I would gladly have fallen him into the depths of the earth. Axel drove me a bit crazy by his non stop panicking and moments of whining. Despite him though I loved the book and can't wait to read more of Verne's stories.

Mary Poppins
I thought I should read this since I am a nanny. I had no idea how rotten Mary Poppins is! She is much sweeter in the book. I still liked the story, but I certainly hope I'm a kinder nanny than she is. Still, I might end up reading the other books in this series, just to see what happens in them.


Right now, besides Berlin Diary I am going to try and finish Jurassic Park. Maybe once I am finished with that one I will read the rest of the Amelia Peabody Series. Because I love Emerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment